Skip to main content

Superlectores

Agatha Christie read about 200 books every year, so she could be considered a superlectora. Theodore Roosevelt, the American President read at least a book every day and sometimes two or three. I had not heard about Badges (Insignias) as a kind of reward for students. The concept is new to me. First I didn't take it very seriously, especially in connection with reading: it seems to me that the reward for reading a book is... Reading the book! The pleasure we derive from this input of information and imagination is reward in itself. At any rate, I started checking out the badge-making sites and the first one our course recommended was MakeBadges. It's an easy little program and I created badges for the above-mentioned Superlectores. I saw that under Icon you can upload any image you like and it will appear inside the badge. You can even adjust the size of the image. Together with the old look of the photographs you immediately get a pretty cool badge! Then, of course, I considered this a little bit too easy. For the purpose of AbiesWeb I thought of a badge for Readers who, when they finish a book, write a short synopsis, or summary that can then be attached to the data of AbiesWeb and become available to potential readers. 
Then, there would have to be some kind of control and feedback from the part of the teachers. I'm talking, of course, about my own school, which is an EOI and therefore the Blurbs should be in the language that the specific reader is studying (or the language of the book they are reading). Every student that produces a Blurb (This is the English name for the description on the back cover of a book, often written by other authors, in which an opinion about the book is given or a summary of the plot (without revealing too much so as not to spoil the story), or some comments from reviews in the papers. The students should write a little about their opinion of the story and also about the linguistic aspects for their level: whether the book is easy to follow, the number of difficult words that had to be looked up in dictionaries, the grammatical structures that are used, etc.


It occurred to me that perhaps we could design a badge for every student who contributes and writes some kind of a blurb. These students would receive the badge Vassal of Blurb (a Vassallo) as the badge that rewards the effort and a more distinguished badge for a blurb of exceptional quality for one reason or another. I was thinking of Prince and Princess of Blurb.  I started designing a little bit myself and first I thought that I should use the image of Shakespeare and a crown, perhaps and got the following result that you see here. That looked pretty ridiculous (as I'm sure you will agree) so I abandoned the idea and came up with the golden badge with the golden banner and the old books with the names Vassal, Princess and Prince. This, too, looks horribly tacky, but as I'm not completely partial to the idea of the badges I decided to use those and to print them, as it were, on imitation parchment. So the design is my own and I'll print a single badge below. For my Plantilla I printed all three badges. I should perhaps explain that, unlike the badges for Christie and Roosevelt, these badges I designed in CorelDraw and then exported them as PNG images.




I included the fields of the Description, Criteria and Evidence to comply with the instructions of the task as shown in the Plantilla. Under Description I wrote (in case the image is hard to read) The badges are formed by golden shields and banners with a stack of old books depicted in the centre. The three badges are identical but for the names Vassal, Princess and Prince at the top. The Vassal badge is for participants while the Prince and Princess badges are for outstanding production. We can think of students who have produced more than 10 blurbs and become princes and princesses. I'm not so very happy about using Royalty, but there could be a superbadge that acknowledges the exceptional quality of Blurbs, or exceptional number of blurbs (say 20) and thus become King or Queen. Here's the Parchment:





I used an old imitation parchment background for a more interesting look. I'm not saying that it's beautiful, mind. Here goes the Badge of Blurb by Jan Bliek


For the Criteria I wrote:
The badges will be rewarded to all participant, that is readers who provide the system with some kind of cross-reference contribution in the form of a short synopsis that we call Blurb here. Special badges will be awarded to those contributions that stand out because of their quality bot in Language and in ideas.

For the Evidence I wrote: The production of the blurbs will be monitored by the teachers available in the library. They will assess the production and evaluate the writing on grammar an, vocabulary and structures, but mainly on its personal quality and intensity, for which the badges Prince and Princess are particularly applicable. I’m sot sure how these badges are allotted to the students inside AbiesWeb, for example, or whether this is something that’s made visible outside Abies

______________________________________________________________________

I later read a few things about the insignia in

Una insignia no es un simple fichero de imagen

And I think I understand the concept a little bit better. It's a bit like a chip in your ear that contains meta-data, isn't it?

I also earned my own badge doing this course
embed_badge









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2.4 Gestiona los Lectores

Gestiona los lectores So, I met this groups of singer/songwriters and they all wanted to take out a book. I had to make them members first and screencapture the process. I thought maybe it was nice to have the students alphabetically interesting so I started with A for Adele B for Bruce  Springsteen C  for Cher          D  for David  Bowie E  for Ed  Sheeran        F  for Freddy Mercury        G  for George Michael                                    H for Hugh Laurie (apart from being House , he also sings and plays instruments) I wish I had time to do 26, but this is quite enough for our purpose. I saw that there's room for a picture in AbiesWeb (also in Abies2, by the way), so I asked for their photographs and they all made selfies! It's a nice bunch, what? The pictures aren't really important, I gues, but it makes the website so much more interesting, doesn't it? I thought that the process was really easy and straightforward. For the momen

3.5 Mi portfolio enriquecido

During this course (Bibliotecas Escolares y el uso de AbiesWeb) I stumbled upon this Online Cue prompter which might be an interesting option for students to read out texts and record themselves. With a bit of brainstorming I'm sure teachers will come up with creative ways of putting this application (until recently the monopoly of TV professionals) to good use. A fun way of making students aware of pronunciation, intonation and facial expression. With a little practice you can say things while it doesn't even look like you're reading! Ha Ha! These first words might be part of the script I'm using for this end-of-course video. I would continue like this: I suppose most of you already know of this tool, but perhaps you hadn't thought of using it for Reading purposes, so I'm going to use this prompter for my end-of-course video clip. I'll keep it short because I know you have to go through a lot of material. First of all my thanks to the makers of

3.4 Generar conocimiento en red

Mensenbieb I suppose that the Library we have at the EOIs are not the typical Biblioteca Escolar. Our students are mainly adults and we're not really educating the way we try to educate younger people of which the encouragement to read forms a part. Of course we do try to get our students to read, but mainly with an eye on language acquisition. As we have seen in some other enties in this blog we have acitivities that might serve as an incentive to reading such as the BookClub and the Literary contests that we organise. Some of the things we have seen during this course are surely going to contribute to a more attractive access to our library and its resources. So, when we are showing the library to new students we will consider how to visualise these new aspects. For this last point (3.4 I remembered a special library in Amsterdam that I will try esplain in the following lines and that might give extra ideas to Readers of this Blog and users of Libraries that are not famil